ACTC Academy Policies
Policies for: “Bike Driving”
The Road Bike Riding course consists of two sessions:
- Bike Driving I (BDI)
- Bike Driving II (BDII)
Each session consists of six classes.
Enrollment in sessions
For the Bike Driving I, the registrar must receive the student enrollment application and tuition at least one week before the session starts. Tuition from continuing students for Bike Driving II is acceptable at the first class.
To enroll in“Bike Driving I” Students must:
- be a member of Almaden Cycle Touring Club
- have a multi-speed bike (7 or more speeds) in good working condition
- wear a CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) approved helmet
- be at least 14 years old
- students 14 through 17 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- a medical release form is required for all minors.
- if a parent/guardian does not accompany the minor, the minor will not be allowed to ride with the class
An applicant may start in Bike Driving I - class 4, if the applicant has a League of American Bicyclist Traffic Skills 101 Certificate.
To be enrolled in Bike Driving II, students must have completed Bike Driving I.
The Academy reserves the right to disenroll or not accept a student.
Bike Driving I - Attendance is mandatory for each of the first four classes to continue. Important instructionis presented during each class and must be understood in order to continue with the course. A student may miss either class 5 or 6 but not both and still complete the course.
Bike Driving II - One missed class is allowed, with the exception of:
- the Graduation Ride
- the first class of BDII, if the last class of BDI was missed
Missed classes cannot be made up by “doing the ride” during the week. All students are expected to be riding during the week.
Session Completion Order
Students do not need to take Bike Driving II immediately after Bike Driving I. If more than a year has passed since attending Bike Driving I, the student will need to attend the Mastering the Road presentation before continuing with Bike Driving II. Sessions must be completed in a specific order:
- Bike Driving I
- Bike Driving II
Course Completionof Each Section:
Certificates of completion are awarded to students who successfully meet the requirements of each session.
An ACTC Academy “Graduation” Patch is awarded to students who meet the completion requirements of Bike Driving II AND do the Graduation Ride (or equivalent, as determined by the Chancellor). A patch will not be given to anyone not completing the graduationride.
On the Road Riding:
Students must have with them at all times:
- A bicycle meeting the Academy requirements
- A helmet meeting the Academy requirements
- one or more water bottles or a hydration pack
- spare inner tube
- patch kit
- tire levers
- If your bike does not have quick release wheels, you must have the tools necessary for removing your wheels.
Exceptions to the above:
Exceptions to the above: Require the approval of the Academy chancellor, except attendance at Bike Driving I Mastering the Road presentation, which is mandatory.
This page was last updated o July 27, 2017 If you have any suggestions and/or comments regarding this website please contact the ACTC WebMaster.